Ricoh Japan just released the new GXR firmware, version 1.29, on their Japan site, and the autofocus speed is now really, really fast. Everyone who has a Ricoh GXR with A12 50mm module should definitely update right away. Fantastic improvement and thanks Ricoh!
How to Upgrade Ricoh GXR Firmware
- Download the firmware and unzip it.
- Put the firmware files (several files) onto an SD card and put the card into the camera.
- Make sure the camera is off.
- Press plus and playback buttons simultaneously for a few seconds until you see the LCD change.
- Follow the prompts, OK-ing to install.
- Don't mess with the camera while it is updating.